Friday, September 28, 2012

The Beautiful Arboretum


I wasn't sure what to expect when I got the email about class in the Arboretum. What I knew for sure was that I was excited for a field trip and a change of scenery. I have never been there, only driven by it so I didn't know for sure what it consisted of. The day was perfect for looking at nature. There were pure blue skies with only spots of white. The air had a chill in it but it was no match for my Northface jacket and the strong sun warmed me. I looked around and couldn’t wait to explore.
When I got closer and closer to where we were meeting, I was pleasantly surprised. The structure we were standing under was eloquently built. I looked to the side and saw a beautiful garden of endless colors. I saw every flower I could have named and numerous that I have never seen before. I decided to walk through this way first. The sidewalk went in a square around bright green grass with an interesting sculpture in the middle. On the other side of the sidewalk were all the flowers. I couldn’t see a single open space that didn’t have an explosion of color coming out of the dirt. Some of the flowers were generic ones I have seen many times, but other ones were so interesting I caught myself staring trying to figure them out. As I kept following the sidewalk, I came to a small wooden bench surrounded by ivory. For some reason it struck me as so beautiful I had to stop to take a picture. It was very simple but that is why it appealed to me. The simplicity of the bench combined with the intricate flower and leaves surrounding it contrasted so nicely together. Behind the bench all I could see was pure green grass and more trees. It was a beautiful scene that I would definitely go back to appreciate.
I have always loved nature. Hiking in the early fall and late winter has always appealed to me. I loved the way the leaves change color and painted the trails in orange, yellow, and brown. My favorite part was walking through the areas that didn’t have a very distinct trail and that you would have to climb on top of rocks to get across. This was one of the reasons I really liked the Botanical Gardens. I think nature is so beautiful and I had no idea that there was such a place that was so accessible to me at school. I think this is a great thing to have at a college. It gives students an outlet when things get stressful. They can have an opportunity to go and see something beautiful. A part that I really liked was that from almost every angle around the garden you could see the mountains in the background. You really get the feeling of being in the valley when you look around and see mountains everywhere. It makes me appreciate the beauty of my school and makes me feel so lucky that this is my home.

3 comments:

  1. Allison--

    "Eloquently built" is an amazing phrase! So glad you enjoyed your time at the Arboretum.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Allison ! It sounds like you had a really nice time at the arboretum ! I too found myself taking pictures everywhere I went ! They have a Fall Festivle coming up with a pumnkin carving contest which looks kinda fun haha. Anyway I enjoy reading your blog! And I love the name of it too!
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flowers are normally not my type of thing but definitely seeing the Arboretum is one of the highlights of my first year here.

    ReplyDelete