Monday, December 10, 2012

My Time in English 15


            I think the most important thing I learned this semester in English 15 is how to work with people who I have never met before. Before college, I was used to being in a class with all people who I have known for years. My high school was not tiny but it wasn’t huge and by senior year, I had friends in every single one of my classes. Even if I wasn’t friends with the other people in my class I still knew them pretty well. This means that in class, it wasn’t as big of a deal when I had to talk in front of the class or contribute to class discussions. When we had to work in groups, I wasn’t too worried because I knew most of the people in my class. All that changed when I got here and entered a class without a single person who I knew. At first, I was worried about contributing in class discussions and answering questions. I thought if I said something stupid or gave the wrong answer everyone would judge me. After a while I realized that everyone was in the same boat. They were probably all worried too and after I got to know people a little bit I realized that everyone was actually really nice and wouldn’t judge me. Also, when I heard that we would be doing a group project, I was worried because I wasn’t sure how well I would be able to work with three other people I have never met before. I have no idea what I was worried about because it all worked out well. My group was really nice and we worked really well together. I learned that I could work well with other people who I didn’t know in a group situation. I think this is a really important skill to have for the future because most jobs will have situations like this and it is important that I can succeed in them.
            Of course I learned many useful things for my writing. The most memorable lesson in this class is when we did the concision exercises. So many of the examples are things that I have said multiple times or heard other people saying. I never realized that they were grammatically incorrect or redundant. It made me really conscious of correcting this when I speak and write. I went back and looked at my writing to make sure I didn’t use any of those phrases. It was interesting to learn about this because it was something different to learn. In English classes we always learn how to write a thesis statement and where to use commas and how to write a quote. However, this was never taught to me and it is something really important that I think everyone should be aware of.
            Lastly, I learned about all the opportunities for arts and culture that Penn State provides for us. I most likely would have never gone to In The Red and Brown Water if it weren’t for this class. However, it was an interesting play and it encouraged me to go to other plays. I even found a play that my friends would enjoy and now I am getting them involved in the arts at Penn State. The best part is that most of these opportunities that Penn State offers for the arts are free. It is a really good outlet to distract myself from studying or anything else going on in my life. In addition, it would probably have taken me a while to visit the arboretum. I am really glad that I got to see it and now I know what it is and that it is available for me if I ever want to go visit again. This class made me appreciate that there are arts all around me and that they are an important means for self-expression.

 Blog Comments:




The Most Interesting Blog Ever: In The Red and Brown Water


The He(ART) of Penn State: Old School, New Laughs

Two Truths and No Lies: Movie Madness-The Social Network

Taking On Society: In The Red and Brown Water Review

Stories From Stuart Halls: A Friday Morning Spent with the Arts

Rhetorically Speaking: A Stroll in the Park

**I completed my SRTEs, Ms. S!!

No comments:

Post a Comment